Subject: [Leica] OT: D3x vs 'Blad CFV 16MP full sized samples
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 19:11:53 -0400

Thein,

The whole concept of AA filters has me a bit baffled. If they improve acuity
so much, why do camera companies like Nikon and Canon use them in their top
end cameras. I mean, they have smart engineers. So AA they must be there for
a reason. And Leica, by not using them, must gain something; but they also
must be giving up something, too. I have my own opinions of what those
somethings are, based on using a D200 that had the hi pass filter removed.

A lot probably depends on what type of photography a person does. What may
be an issue with some subject matter may not be with another. Acutance is
important in some types of photography. But not so much in others. If the
ability to resolve fine detail dwarfed all other factors, Tech Pan would
have outsold TriX, instead of visa versa.

I've always put a lot of stock in low light performance. But that's just me.
Probably because I learned long ago that if I have to shoot at too low a
shutter speed any potential acutance in the tools I'm using disappears in a
hurry.

DaveR