Subject: [Leica] OT: D3x vs. 'Blad CFV 16MP full sized samples
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 19:48:49 -0400

Yes but resolution is completely dependent on magnification.

A 4x5 sheet film lens Schneider Symmar 210 lens will not be resolve what a
Hassy 80mm lens will which will not resolve what a 50mm 35mm format lens
will
but they don't need to.
You blow them up less many times.

A very popular thread all over the internet a few years ago was if you
wanted a real sharp picture you shooted 35mm. I bet it still goes on. You
had guys swearing by this it was amazing!
You just could not get the second part of the math thing through to those
people.

Cropped format DSLR's are almost exactly half frame give or take on or two
millimeters.
A lens designed for the smaller format will be a bit sharper but the
magnification required to blow up the images blows that away.

If you looked at a print made Schneider Symmar 210 you're not going to be
notice any lack of sharpness whate so ever. Quite the opposite. A loupe will
more than confirm this.
And believe me that lens is not going to have the resolution of a Leica
lens.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from mingthein at gmail.com (Ming Thein) ([Leica] OT: D3x vs. 'Blad CFV 16MP full sized samples)