Subject: [Leica] Intro & question: part 2
From: wtallman at olypen.com (William D. Tallman)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:11:08 -0700

Thanks to all that responded to the original post.

Live View on a Canon 40D avoids all mirrors and prisms, as what one sees
is what the sensor sees.  Manual focus at maximum magnification is
probably somewhere close to what once would see on the monitor at full
size.  I'm saying that because I've shot this particular scene a number
of times, as it has a varying gradient of detail, etc, etc.

With regard the AA filter:  After reading the site (Hot Rod filters...),
and recalling various clean room protocols that I don't have, doing that
procedure myself on a non-dedicated camera seemed foolish.  And I don't
know that the AA filter is the cause of my complaint.

Typically, that degree of sharpness requires larger format == less
magnification, and yes, the print is the performance for which applause
is given.  I'm going to take delivery of an Epson 3800, which means that
large prints will be inevitable (does one regard a 16x20 print as large
now?); I want to know what I can expect.  Mostly, I want to know what I
need to watch for (when we know better, we can do better...) in my
taking techniques.

Thanks for reading.

Bill Tallman

Replies: Reply from rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] Intro & question: part 2)