Subject: [Leica] Salgado now great image/camera ?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:51:17 -0500

I think it fair to say
that the best photographic work,
in any genre,
has always depended primarily
on the heart, mind, vision and tenacity
of the photographer.

Choice of equipment,
films, sensors, lenses, filters, etc
is tangentially interesting
at best.

It is however natural,
in photography and cinematography,
to ask, "how did they achieve that look?"

It is also common among musicians
to discuss their instruments.
In music and photography and cinematography
the tools do provide tonality, nuance, etc.

I worked with a cinematographer on a commercial 30 years ago
whose "look depended on" (in his own words) "my lens and filter set."
He travelled with a case of 4 or 5 Zeiss and Angenieux lenses
which he knew inside and out.
"everything else I can rent when I get there" he said.

Obviously he also had technique to go with his lenses.
He knew the correct angles, lighting, dolly and panning speeds,
accurate follow focus, etc.
Yet, he considered his lenses a major part of his "look."

As a young art director - i didn't know how he brought it all together
I only knew that i sold the client on "his look."
And he delivered that look professionally - then took his lenses from
the set.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com