Subject: [Leica] Salgado now great image/camera ?
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 15:32:59 +1000

For my 2 euro cents worth, Yes it matters or rather it can. Certainly you
have to BE there with a camera firstly.
Here's a hypotheseis, same great photographer, same scene and composition
and skill applied. Why would you NOT want the best quality lens and capture
medium possible?
Of course the content and skill of the photographer make the photo. However
I never understood why using the best tool you can should be denigrated.

I have at home a magnificent print made from an original Ansel Adams large
format negative. The print is simply a joy to view. Now I'll say that I
stood in the same spot as a casual tourist and was privileged to experience
some not dis-similar weather. I naturally claim no originality or in any way
comparable skill to the master photographer.  But the simple reality is that
I achieved a superbly detailed image using the best glass available and the
exposure system of my M8. Put Ansel in his original spot with say the S2 in
his hands (or a Hasselblad with 60MP back or something) and transfer his
master printers skills to Photoshop and contemplate the possibilities.
I just bought a modest book of HCB photographs. Same scenario, would any of
his photographs have been worse or better with modern M glass and exposure
metering?

--
Cheers
Geoff