Subject: [Leica] Why sharpen?
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:00:43 -0400

Because it's there! :-)

Sadly, digital sharpening isn't like honing a knife. Different
presentation methods require different levels of sharpening. WYSIWYG is
a misnomer. An image that looks over-shapened on a screen may be just
right for a printer/print size combination.

Just when I get something figured out, some element -- be it software or
hardware -- changes. Although admittedly I've never really figured out
sharpening.

The versatility in today's systems has pros and cons. I remember when I
used to make 6x9 prints from 35mm negs. Same paper, same film, same
camera. It was easy to knock out prints.

Too often today I find myself in a world of digital consternation. Great
when it all comes together. Frustrating when it doesn't.

It used to be anti-newton glass. Now it's anti-aliasing glass (or is it
plastic?). Maybe they're one in the same.

OTOH, I don't see myself sprinkling talcum powder on a digital sensor as
a fix for anything.

Dave R