Subject: [Leica] Why sharpen?
From: clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:50:16 -0500

What is being missed is the following:
Capture sharpening is an inherent part of the digital development pipeline.
If you shoot JPG, then the maker's software in the camera does it. In entry
level cameras the shooter has no control over it. In advanced cameras (M8,
eg), it is a variable that is exposed, but I suspect rarely used. The vast
majority of images (not including this list) are shot as JPGs and the
shooter has no idea that sharpening exists. For RAW images, the software
forces the user to choose - most I expect would rather that it makes the
choice for them.

Output sharpening is equally an inherent part of the processing workflow. My
HP drivers will do do it for you, if asked nicely. Again, I suspect that the
vast majority of amateurs do not do anything special - they let the software
do it.

The ubergeeks that inhabit this list of course do it - because they shoot
RAW, and thus they had to be concerned with it.
A test: of those on the list who shoot JPG, who have ever moved the
sharpening off "Standard" on the M8, or done the equivalent on another
camera?

In the film world, sharpening is inherent in the edge effects to the extent
that they exist in the development process. Most users are not concerned
about it very much.
In the digital world, sharpening is inherent in the process of converting a
RAW image to a JPG. Most users are not concerned about it very much.
--
Clive
Blog:  http://clive.moss.net/blog