Subject: [Leica] Why sharpen?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 20:31:52 -0500

Yes, that is what we did in the darkroom.  A copy negative slightly out of
focus and low contrast, sandwiched with the original and printed on high
contrast paper to compensate.  The whole process only took, oh, about 2-3
hours to get right.  Vs. PK Sharpener Pro or even Photoshop, a few seconds
out of your life.  Not to mention all those drawings about how you dodged
and burned and edge burned.  That you could never completely recreate anyway
in a second printing.  Plus you are dealing with at least 4x5" film.  Or how
about adjusting the negative density by putting it in selenium solution, or
sepia toner, or chromium intensifier etc.?  I did all that.

I'm all for nostalgia, but I would rather be staked out in a bed of starving
fire (far ants for those in the south) ants than go back to the darkroom.
However, for those interested here is the grail:

http://www.lightboxinc.com/gallery3/gallery03.html

Oops, I see the last update is 2004.  Hope he is still kicking.  I have seen
many of his prints in person, and if sharpness is your thing, you'll be at
home.

Ken

As far as jpg, I don't know why anyone would do that unless, as Mark
implies, the saucer has landed and you need to get stuff fast.  But then,
that would be a TV thing and I would rather have good raw images.

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Why sharpen?)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Why sharpen?)