Subject: [Leica] The Magic Harvey 777, redux
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:28:48 -0400

I have to dust off the uniroller and see if it still works!  While the D23
was sweet when adequately seasoned I still wasn't happy with the
definition.  The 777 seems to have nicer definition and grain.  Dissolved
grain with sharp edges- can't beat that for TriX.

At 02:02 PM 6/8/2009, you wrote:
>I bought mine from bluegrass so no imposter there.
>
>The magic is definitely in the seasonness of the soup. This is a
>freshly mixed batch, and you can see the fine grain and tonality
>already but not quite the "highlight that goes on forever" yet. In my
>blog post, the 2nd picture was done 3-4 years ago and even on the
>small 35mm negs, you can see the highlight just keeps going, and
>going.
>
>The other magic, if you read the famous unblinkingeye article, is
>consistent agitation method. Let that sinks it a little. I use a Jobo,
>and if there is one thing that a Jobo does well, is that it is
>extremely consistent in agitation :-) - always rolling.
>
>To compensate for the potential small tank issue, I just use a lot of
>it, to the max of the tank capacity.
>
>I have read replenished D23 is pretty good too.
>
>On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Chris Saganich<chs2018 at med.cornell.edu>
>wrote:
> > Also, the real "777" doesn't like small tanks either.  The magik is in
> > the
> > ratio of developers used which may not be possible to reproduce for small
> > tank development.  I have read success can be had using1 roll in a 4 roll
> > tank.  Like D23 it sweetens with age and is economical.  My last batch
> > D23
> > didn't start really shining until after about 20 rolls.  After one full
> year
> > of using the same 1 liter bottle I finally disposed of it.  That's when I
> > realized how sweet it had become!
> >

>--
>// richard m: richard @imagecraft.com
>// w: http://www.rfman.com
>// b: http://rfman.wordpress.com

Chris Saganich MS, CPH
Senior Physicist, Office of Health Physics
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018 at med.cornell.edu
http://intranet.med.cornell.edu/research/health_phys/
Ph. 212.746.6964