Subject: [Leica] Are we no longer wanted?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:39:03 +0100

Hi Mark,
Don't hold your breath, There is too small a market for any of the
chip manufacturers to develop a completely new technology chip
suitable for rangefinder style WA lenses. Fitting offset microlenses
over a current technology chip, and moving the IR filter from over the
chip to over the lens has drawn plenty of criticism already, and even
this solution is on the limit with the 1.3 crop.
Unless a suitable new technology gets discovered for a completely
different reason, such as production cost, there will never be a
24x36mm sensor digital M.
Based on what they explained years ago we are lucky to have the M8. I
suspect we have Epson to thank for that, my guess is that if that
camera had not come along and shown a feasible compromise the M8 would
never have come into existence.
Thankfully it did, and it is the best camera I have ever owned.
Frank

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Are we no longer wanted?)