Subject: [Leica] Which M to sell to get which M8?
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:51:13 +1000

Richard I sold my M7 reluctantly to fund the same thing.
In my experience an M6 for example (or the MP) is arguably easier to sell.
Even though I consider the M7 a more practical tool (hence why I had one).
On money you may be best served researching completed sales in your country
on the Bay, offered by dealers and privately. Obviously a range of prices.
On the M8 you might like to do the sums on getting the original then adding
your desired upgrades (done directly via Solms rather than Leica USA).
My view is that the shutter and viewfinder upgrades are very worthwhile
whereas the sapphire glass didn't personally entice me. Actually if you get
the shutter via the upgrade you get a custom speed dial without the S mode
too. On the M8.2 loaned to me by Leica, the shutter speed dial detents were
actually softer than on my camera, although they are supposed to be firmer.
If you got an original you could shoot with it right away and of course may
not feel the upgrades are important, or you could add them down the track a
little if you want.
Consider also that Leica will blueprint your M8 to spec including the focus
calibration as part of the upgrade. I think that this is an important
benefit (you can send your fast 50 & 75 lenses too if wanted). You get an
extra years warranty too.
Talk to customer service about the upgrades?
elke.luh at leica-camera.com

Visit Brian and shoot his M8.2? You get the purty black paint if you go for
the M8.2 ;-)

--
Cheers
Geoff