Subject: [Leica] Tina Wrote...
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:28:55 -0400

At 12:53 PM 6/30/2009, you wrote:
>The best protection is to limit image size and dpi such that getting
>decent-size prints is pretty much impossible. But otherwise we may have
>reached the point where we have to recognize that if we put it up in
>cyberspace, it's going to float around cyberspace.
>
>B. D.
>www.bdcolenphoto.com

I agree, but more and more of my stock sales are for web use, or at
least with web use included for an extra fee.  If the photos can just
be grabbed off the web, nobody is going to be paying for them.  Most
of the big stock agencies put a very prominent watermark across the
whole photo.  I'm sure it can be removed but it would be a lot of
trouble.  The stock business is really suffering these days, and more
and more stock photographers are selling from their own sites on
PhotoShelter or SmugMug.  There's got to be some way to protect web
use.  Many textbook publishers are moving entirely to the web as
school districts cut back on buying textbooks.  I'm not really
worried about somebody making prints because they won't get a good
one from a web file.  Tineye can find web use but they have a long,
long way to go before they cover the whole web.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com