Subject: [Leica] To Sell or Not to Sell now Canon/Nikon
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:55:28 -0400

At 09:32 PM 6/30/2009, you wrote:
>Tina,
>
>I know nothing about chromatic aberration, color fringing and the like for
>the Canon, even after looking on Google.  I have some Canon L lenses, and
>the full-frame Canons seem attractive.  Can you point me to some sites or
>images that would show the effects?  I am interested in things that show up
>on prints, say up to 16x20X.  Thx much.
>
>Ken

Ken - I used to have a gallery up on pbase showing the CA and
fringing from my Canon lenses when I was trying to find a solution,
but the solution turned out to be an M8 so I took the photos
down.  Here are examples I found on Google:
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1486
http://toothwalker.org/optics/chromatic.html
http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/Chromatic.html
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_28_75c.html

All of the examples are with Canon lenses.  The purple or red lines
on one side of an object with green or blue lines on the other.  I
saw it all the time in trees in the corners of the
photos.  Sometimes, as with these examples, it extends pretty far
into the photo.  The 24/1.4 L lens was also very soft in the corners.

I examine all of my photos at 100% because stock agencies do.  You
might never notice the artifacts if you just look at actual size on
the web, but once I've seen them, I know they are there and look for
them in every photo.  There are work-arounds to get rid of the
fringing but every one of them degrades the photo in some way.  I'd
rather not have it to start with.

Hope this helps.

Tina

Tina Manley