Subject: [Leica] Leicas with Swastikas
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:28:59 -0400

Jayqanand,

Context is everything. A German camera with a Swastika means it came
from the Nazi era. If a person walks around with it or displays it in
his or her house, other people will have thoughts about it and the
person who brandishes it.

As you note, to a Hindu, the symbol of the Swastika might have a
different meaning. But this discussion is not about Hindus and their
symbols. It is about German cameras with Nazi Swastikas. The discussion
is not about all cameras built in Germany during WWII or thereafter
either. The discussion is also not about Leica's behavior towards its
Jewish employees. Those are topics for another thread as is your
observations about China and international corporations. Let's not
diffuse the focus of this thread.

This discussion is about Leicas with Swastikas. To widen the topic to
something else waters down the point of this thread, namely, that to
own one of these cameras, to display it, or to use it invites a
negative reaction. I can understand that someone might want to have one
so that he or she will have one of every type of Leica ever made. That
however would not change my opinion that to possess one is to display
bad taste or worse.

The only instance I can see where the camera would be okay would be in
the context of coming to terms with The Third Reich. I could see the
camera in a museum noting how deeply the Nazis permeated the culture,
how the Nazis tainted everything they touched.

The Nazis showed where racism leads and their use of the Swastika is
associated with that and more. They gave racism a richly deserved bad
name. To possess its symbol is to have a mark of evil. Who would want
that!!!

Douglas

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Leicas with Swastikas)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Leicas with Swastikas now.... NOW A SUGGESTION -- CANADA DAY!)