Subject: [Leica] To Sell or Not to Sell now Canon/Nikon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 17:36:32 -0400

The analogy with film is not exactly.
Acreage wise, I agree.

A larger sensor means each pixel grabber is bigger and can be nicely
isolated not jam packed and operate with lower noise.
Those puppies like some room to breath.
This translates to higher ISO's as a default.
You can shoot iso 1600 without circumcision.

A smaller sensor means smaller pixel grabbers all rammed up against each
other making for a default much lower iso.
You can shoot iso 100 with no consumption.

Its like "I like 72 on a roll so I'll just shoot plus X instead of tri x and
it will come out the same."
I don't think it does.

Those pixel grabbers are much happier campers when they have room to breath
and can be bigger.

But I don't understand medium format digital why the ISO's can't be higher.
Instead they're lower.
And you're supposed to over expose it; not keep the exposure down with 24x36
and smaller. Or slides.

Mark William Rabiner

I don't think just using smaller ISO's with smaller formats digital or film
makes up for the smaller format size.