Subject: [Leica] Are you still using an R6 or R6.2?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 15:10:40 -0400

Frank I could sell my Hassy glass.
July 11 2002 in Portland I bought a Zeiss 100mm f3.5 Cfi Planar T* for the
price of a Noctilux that year maybe more I think.
got it for $2582
Today its worth nothing
I could sell it today for 800 bucks if I threw in a lens hood and back caps.

Well I know for sure the week I parted with the thing some rogue company is
going to break out with a everyman consumer medium format back and Hassy
Belly Futures are going bullish just as Leica stuff has stayed very much in
the black all this time.
Because people will be able to use it digitally.

The Zeiss 100 3.5 I think can be compared to the Leica 75 Summicron or the
60 Macro R.
When nothing less that the top optic will do to get everything straight:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1451&P=100/3.5-Planar-Cfi-T*

: The 100mm Planar is a lens designed to deliver virtually zero distortion
and extremely well defined image details irrespective of aperture setting.
This makes it the first choice when the demands on exact reproduction of the
geometry of the subject and resolution are extremely high, such as in
architectural, aerial surveying, copying, industrial, and scientific
photography. It also makes a great alternative to the 80mm as a standard
lens, particularly as a short portrait lens.

I'm going to sit on it.
I'm going to wait.

A digital medium format BACK that might take over much of my photography
would not have to have that many megapixels at all. It could have 16. Less.
Many of them now have coincidentally a 1.5 crop factor which I'm got at I'd
like that or maybe a little better. And I'd like the iso to go maybe higher
than 400.
But what I'd get would be extreme clarity.
A life support system for some real Zeiss glass.

The time to buy Hassy Zeiss glass is NOW. When thy are for all practical
purposes FREE. You buy the lens they give you a body free.  Of visa versa.
Usually versa.

Mark William Rabiner
* I see Sammy's is selling a 100 3.5 now for $3578.
Buy one now from some guy on eBay and save $3000!
In effect...
Darned close...
I'm sure there's a deal that good somewhere in photography I just don't know
what it is.
Its almost enough to get a guy to go out and buy a roll of film!

Replies: Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Are you still using an R6 or R6.2?)