Subject: [Leica] Nikon Rumors
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 17:16:04 +0100

Hi Joseph!
I had heard about the slowness of the old school Nikon AF but found
the rumour to be false when I used it. The Nikon 85mm f1.4 is -much-
faster focussing than the Canon 85mm f1.2 and the old Nikon method
seems competitive to Canons USM in general in speed, just noisier.
Chasseur d'Images, my favourite photography magazine, evaluates
focussing speed and accuracy on moving subjects in their tests. Nikon
AF has been faster and more accurate than Canon in every one of these
tests that I have read, going back into the film era (ie F5 faster &
more accurate than EOS 1). Most of the press here in the UK have
printed, though not AFAIK ever measured, otherwise. Perhaps they have
believed the marketing BS or are thrown by the noise???

You, of course, will have driven the PDK, which I haven't. I do agree
with you about the backwardness of the Porsche shift controls,
dimwitted IMO. I have not liked any other of the so called sporty
autos I have tried. PDK sounds ideal for me, if I try it I will let
you know my feelings.

I too preferred manual focus until I had to try to photograph my
grandchildren, and in any case with fast/long lenses where AF can be
counted on to get the point of focus wrong IME.

All the best,
Frank