Subject: [Leica] The Leica M8.2 Experience
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:50:46 -0400

The cost relative to film really isn't the point anymore.  It's the
cost and performance compared to other digital options, such as the
D700.

This (the value of an M8) is an old argument, of course, and I've been
trying to come up with a fuller explanation of why I still resist
buying an M8 even with the improvements in the M8.2.  Maybe the answer
rests in the idea of capital-Q Quality in the Robert Persig, "Zen and
the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" sense.

Just the right functionality to do the job at hand simply, elegantly,
and at minimal cost, sums the concept up for me.  The M3 had it in
spades.  The D700 almost has it and would if it were less complex
functionally, the GRD2 has it too.

These days a $30 Timex watch can have it, a Rolex does not.

Regards,

Dick