Subject: [Leica] Scanning
From: socphoto at verizon.net (Carl Socolow)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:03:55 -0400

Doug Wrote:

> > From: Douglas Barry <imra at iol.ie>
> > Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 00:19:54 +0100
> > To: <lug at leica-users.org>
> > Subject: [Leica] Scanning
> >
> > Not a Leica question really, but....
> >
> > I was given an old Nikon Coolscan LS-30 which needs a SCSI card to get it
> > working. Anybody out there know whether I'd be wasting my time and money
> > trying to get this scanner working? I'm running XP Pro and I see from
> > googling
> > the net that there are compatibility problems with XP & the scanner.
> >
> > Douglas
> > _________
> > Douglas Barry
> > Bray, Co. Wicklow
> > Republic of Ireland

Doug,

I used a SCSI interfaced Polaroid Sprintscan 4000, at first with a SCSI
PCI card in an earlier Apple tower that I had. Then when I upgraded
towers I ended up getting a SCSI to firewire adapter. I think, as
Nathan, points out, that you should be able to find a SCSI to USB
adapter since that seems to be the more common port with Windows
machines. The one thing that you couldn't do with the adapter was
daisy-chain firewired peripherals together as you would normally be able
to do. You might also check with Ed Hamrick at VueScan to see if his
software supports such a configuration. I know it did with the firewire
adapter.

Best,

Carl Socolow

www.carlsandersocolow.com