Subject: [Leica] Rab's 12" Powerbook G4 monitor darks are darkening
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 16:57:05 -0400

I think I'll have a large order of prognosis negative!

My 12" Powerbook G4 monitor darks are darkening
First it only happened after a restart.
Then an hour later it would be back or over night.

My PowerBook G4 12 inch with has been more important to me than my shoes for
three and a half years.
I took it out on the road on my big trip out here working from countless
motels - Crunching and editing my pix from the days moving east on non
interstates.  Before that it had moved my but from office to the end of
kitchen table.. It would print in the next room. My office. Airport.

The only problem is the darker areas.
They're too dark.
The mid and light areas look fine.

That has not stopped me from Photoshopping  a slew of pictures which, when I
look at later, and when other people look at them;
Have washed out blacks.
No bottom.

When I got into the display preferences I see I've tried in the past to come
up with other saved "calibrations" but they were all funny.
So I've been using Color LCD 1 all this time.
Which is the same as Color LCD
The in effect preferences.
The advanced set of controls REALLY get me in trouble with funny looking
images on my screen and the non advanced don't do much of anything.

By the way the battery is out.
And that could be it. I use the thing plugged in but maybe having a working
battery brightens up its day. Its always some really odd dumb thing like
that I'm off to the apple store in Soho to meet up at the Genius Bar in an
hour.
I'm going to ask them straight off for the meaning of life;
And I have a feeling he or she's not going to know its 42.
Nor the smart way to deal with this monitor problem which will drive me
crazy before it puts me out of business.

I know heres a socket on  the side for an exterior monitor and those are
pretty cheap.
But that's a quick fix just like my exterior CD burner is now.
I need to be operatable in a Motel room just like the old days.
Though I'd settle for right here at my desk.

I very much real soon like tonight need to tweak some pix which I knew are
too dark.
But it will be very tricky as they've looked perfect on my monitor for three
days now. I got a glimpse of what they look like washed out before I had to
do a restart and the screen has never returned to normal brightness.
So in 33 minutes I bring it to the apple genius in SoHo.

Mark William Rabiner

Nothing can hurt us now. What we have can't be destroyed. That's our victory
- our victory over the dark.

from "Dark Victory"
... Davis, Bogart, Brent.
    oh and R. Reagan!

 Moving to Vermont are you? What do you do there in between yawns?

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Rab's 12" Powerbook G4 monitor darks are darkening)
Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (rsphoto's email) ([Leica] Rab's 12" Powerbook G4 monitor darks are darkening)