Subject: [Leica] food photography book?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:01:31 -0400

The best food photography like the best fashion photography is done with the
close collaboration of a special stylist/s. Its all about the assembling of
a team. Photographer, assistant, stylist, others.... model....

When you do such work on your own people see it in the context of all the
other food shots or in the other case fashion work they'd ever seen.
And working alone that puts that shot of yours at a severe disadvange.
However you have "beginners Luck" in your favour.
Ones first experiments always have a cutting edge thing no ones told you
what's impossible so you just do it anyway.

The best food shots as I understand it you could never eat it afterwards
unless your digestive system is somehow conducive to Verethane.
Yum!
If its edible odds are it doesn't translate to a photograph.
But I just hate to hear that stuff.

My favorite food shots were done by Irving Penn of blocks of frozen food and
also puree's.
Food with String Beans, 1977
http://photos.liveauctioneers.com/houses/phillipsdepury/2794/1035_1_lg.jpg

Some things are amazingly photogenic.
In my experience you can buy a fish in a supermarket photographic it any
where in any setting and it always looks great. With no funny preparation.
That's just been my experience.
Nothing more phogenic than a whole fish. They don't even need makeup. And
you never have to hassle with their agent.
I've had food shots in my book but never did really work with a special food
styles. Just food experts of various kinds. Explaining why I never did much
food photography.

I like shooting deviled eggs at weddings! Never hurts to bring a macro.

Eric Korenman