Subject: [Leica] Hood for 50/2.8 Elmar Collapsible
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:57:31 -0400

> What's the best hood for the 50/2.8 Elmar collapsible on my IIIg.
> Leicashop says the ITOOY but my 1961 Leica General Catalogue lists the
> IROOA 2.type 12571J. I'm mainly concerned that either hood might
> obstruct the view through the viewfinder. Which hood is the best all
> around? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Jim

If it was me I'd not use one.
I'd collapse the lens and put the camera in my pocket.
This to me would be far more valuable than the slight lack of flair the
little hood would do for me.
To me what the Leica is all about and the mojo we need to gain back from
1957.

In most cases you grab the little histogram at the left bottom slide it to
the right and any flair you have it cuts right through it.

Save money on uncoated optics.

I know its not quite the same.

If you told me ten years ago I was using lens hoods half the time I'd have
called you a Lying Liar.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from digiratidoc at gmail.com (James Laird) ([Leica] Hood for 50/2.8 Elmar Collapsible)