Subject: [Leica] Any comparison between the 18mm Elmar to the WATE?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:06:51 -0400

> It was too early for my fingers to work properly.....
>
> Super Elmar......
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i at earthlink.net
>
> I am curious if there has been a comparison between the Wide Angle Tri
> Elmar
> and the 18mm Super Duper Elmar for the M series?

The Tri Elmar works much better at 16mm and 21mm and the f/3.8 ASPH works
better at 18mm.

Frank you should know better than to type out " Wide Angle Tri Elmar" which
gives it away.... Now newer people are going to know what we're talking
about. What fun is that? We have rules. Check the charter.

I just gave you my comparison review of the of the tri elmar wide vs. the
Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH.

Based on many hours of never even seeing the 18 and watching a guy with a
tri elmar walk down the sidewalk.

But if you want a stunning 18 which kicks any such wide on its.... Ass then
get the 18. That's what I'm going to do.

as the tri elmar is too bulky with half the issue being the bulkiness of the
finder.

I like how the new 18 which would by definition have to represent the newest
cutting edge optical design strategies Leica has to offer, has a
conservative speed its a f/3.8 ASPH. For once the optical team wins out over
the marketing team.

The speed difference, by the way by my favorite love hate reviewer says is
less then 1/6th of a stop.

I have a rule in my own mind whenever anyone says their zoom is better than
their prime -
I always think its baloney.

All the 18 has to do is be good at 18mm
Not 19mm. Not 21mm

I think its good to be free from distractions.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/18mm.htm

If I didn't get the 18 I'd get the Zeiss 15.
Made by Carl Zeiss in Oberkochen

Hence I don't ever bother with the ZM BS.

Its $4,014.94 at Adorama

Its too fast and too big and cost too much.
But when it says Zeiss on it it does not lie.
And its a heck of a lot wider than the 18.

One needs both..... To live.

And kicks ass.

Mark William Rabiner