Subject: [Leica] Disc universal drive adapter
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 23:07:14 -0400

At 08:34 PM 8/1/2009, you wrote:

>This is a worthwhile gadget to have. Similar ones are on sale at
>most electronics/computer stores and on the internet. Mine is called
>a "USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter" and is made by Newer Technology.
>I believe I paid about $24 for it. You can pull the disc drive from
>a computer or a broken housing, connect up the disc adapter plug and
>download the contents of the disc to any device with a USB plug. The
>real advantage, other than reading discs from failed computers, is
>that you can buy naked disc drives on the internet for less than $50
>a terabyte and use them to store your data files. This was a
>technique I learned from Brian. I now have a shelf full of them.
>Each takes up less room than a VCR tape. Cheap, cheap.
>
>Incidentally, you can buy disc housings complete with power supply
>and output ports into which you can mount the disc drive of your
>choice for about $30 at any large computer store. Check out
><www.microcenter.com>
>They are having a sale on this stuff.
>
>Larry Z

When I put "USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter" in the search box on
Microcenter's site, the first thing that comes up is the Drobo box
that I ordered.  I hope that's what it is and that it will work for
putting various disc drives in.  If it does, I may have to buy one
for the farm and one for the house.  I have lots of the external
housings made by Venus that hold both SATA and IDE drives.  I've used
those to hook up various drives in the past, but this Seagate doesn't
fit any of them.  I think they must be an older configuration of SATA.

Thanks,

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com