Subject: [Leica] drobo question
From: dennis at hale-pohaku.net (Dennis)
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 10:43:42 -1000

First, you always have a backup copy on a media you can read, usually a
hard disc used for backup only. Could be a CD or DVD, or even tape.

I don't know much about Drobo as last time I looked at them they only
had the USB interface and I wanted a system on our network and went with
the Ready NAS NV+

But, if your Drobo is set up in a RAID system, (except for RAID 0), it
should be able to continue to read/write your data with one disc dead.
You should then be able to replace that disc with one of equal  or
greater capacity and have it rebuild the array.

If you are using a RAID 5 setup then you cannot get any useful data off
a single disc because it is spread over multiple discs in order to be
able to read//write the array with one disc dead.

I believe that the Drobo uses a Linux derivative  and most likely a
Linux  compatible file system. You might be able to take a single, non
RAID, disc out and read data on another Linux system but I wouldn't even
consider this as a recovery option. In all RAID systems there is the
possibility that proprietary data is written to the disc(s) that
preclude ever getting the data off in a simple manner.

1. Always have a backup copy of anything important.

2. RAID 5 is good for having system up time. If a drive fails everything
that was put on the array can be retrieved none of your work will be lost.

3. IMO a system on your network, gigabit, is much more flexible than a
USB system.

4. You can use computer as a server as has been suggested. It's more
work than my Ready NAS NV+ and consumes more power. Power was a big
consideration for me. I also like the backup features of the NV+ and use
it to sweep data off 2 computers on my network and one website on the
internet.

-Dennis