Subject: [Leica] Hasselblad digi-backs, lenses - was M9"M8
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:40:19 -0700

You're completely correct in most of that, Frank.

The P65 back isn't available for the Hasselblad 500 series, and of
course the digital Schneider and Rodenstock lenses don't work either.

It's just the if you're talking 'digital MF', high end backs on
things like Arca and Linhof bodies designed for those backs come up,
although they are often more like adapted and shrunk view cameras
than hand-holdable MF film cameras like the Hasselblad or Mamiya
(although the latter in it's current incarnation can handle the P65
back as Mamiya and Phase One are now one and the same). Mamiya is
also going through a redesign of its lenses, especially the
wideangles, to make use on the hi-res backs reasonable. Peformance
and prices are going up correspondingly.

As far as user-friendly, where is the line drawn? User friendly is a
minimal P&S or even some cell-phone cams. Less user friendly (in
descending order): a consumer oriented DSLR, pro DSLR, Leica M8,
Digital Fuji-Hasselblad, Digital field camera with high-end digi
back, and Betterlight scanning back on 4x5. This is a minimal list
off the top of my head.

You're correct that if you want to use that Hasselblad body, you
don't have many options and you'll be using those (older) Hasselblad
lenses and whatever back is available for it.

But that system is likely (and I'm guessing here, based on the fact
that some components aren't made anymore) to be a dead end. So for
that kind of money I'd want to have either a clear advantage over
anything else in that price bracket, or something that has a future.
Neither of those things seem convincing to me about the
Hasselblad-500-as-digital option.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design