Subject: [Leica] now Bessa
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 00:08:36 -0400

> Never shot 6x6 so not sure, but what's the percentage of people
> leaving 6x6 as square vs. crop when printing? If most people crop,
> then may be they inherently don't see that 6x6 as 6x6.

Ansel used to speak of the 6x6 format (Hasselblad) he mainly shot with in
the second half of his life as something to crop a vertical or horizontal
from in the darkroom. He never used square I don't think. Lots of people
listened to him. Certainly wedding photographers. Avedon and Penn cropped
rectangles from squares.
But in the 80's square format landscape and everything else become more the
norm. And full frame black border printing also became very prevalent.
A square format picture can seem perfect but on further examination refined
by making a vertical or horizontal out of it. And they'll do it to your shot
even if you don't. Later on down the line.
A square image on a rectangular page any more doesn't throw anybody.
All in all you're lucky if they just don't crop out everything but the face.

Mark William Rabiner