Subject: [Leica] OT: Contax 645 one more time
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:45:54 -0400

> I haven't forgotten the weddings I photographed
> with a Hasselblad, Braun and Graflex Strobes with 4 lb batteries.
> No sireee - not forgotten at all.
> My knee, back and shoulder problems will not let me forget.
>
> All I'm trying to communicate is
> that with that mirror slap and light trap
> my C and CM did not make best use of the glass
> at a 1/30th, 1/60th or even 1/125th
> hand held.
>
> For me quality from the 'blad meant:
> 1) lots of light
> or
> 2) strobes (see one above)
> or
> 3) mirror up
> or
> 4) tripod
>
> pick one

With the shutter in the lens syncing at a 500th if need be and a Norman 200c
with battery on my belt I was shooting at f 11 for most shots at 7 feet away
and getting everything in focus for miles in either direction the flash
duration becoming the effective shutter speed I shot tens of thousands of
tack sharp everything in focused pictures with a Hasselblad 50, 60 or 80
lens. At times a 150 or rented 250. I shot mainly iso 320 tri x pro and 800
speed 220 color neg films. Blazingly sharp. Standard of the industry glass.

On a tripod I pre popped getting the mirror up for as many shots as possible
but with flash it was not really needed to pre pop.

For decades two brands of glass photographers dreamt about using and admired
on a pedestal above all others:
Leica M glass
Zeiss Hasselblad glass.

And not necessarily in that order.

The MTF graphs on Zeiss for 90% of all Hassy glass have hardly been matched.
Your average new Zeiss for Hassy lens cost 4 grand at B&H I would call it a
very good investment.
A Wide Angle 40mm f/4 CFE IF Zeiss Distagon Lens for 500 and 200 Series
Cameras  Price:$5,873.00
Normal 100mm f/3.5 CFi Zeiss Planar Lens for 500 Series Cameras
Price:$3,578.00

If you shot with a view  or technical camera you had other options.
Excellent Fuji, Schneider and Rodenstock and Nikon glass. And others.
Real wide angles.

Mark William Rabiner