Subject: [Leica] Tram Tracks and Cycle Wheels
From: gwpics at me.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:44:27 +0100

I remember as a very young boy travelling  through the streets of
Southampton with my father, and watching a cyclist get his front wheel
stuck in the tracks of the tram we were on. He had little choice but
to keep peddling down the track furiously, all the time hoping not to
fall off before the tram caught him up. So what has this got to do
with my photography? Well, before I changed to digital I used to shoot
a lot of black and white, an important component of which is what
photographers call 'previsualisation' - the art of seeing the final
image before pressing the button, or being able to see the black and
white image whilst looking at the colour one nature gives us. I found
this immensely difficult with digital capture because it is necessary
to previsualise twice, once prior to capture and then again when you
see the image on the computer screen. It even took me a long time to
realise what the problem was but carried on shooting stock in colour.
Well I am pleased to say that I think I have finally managed to get my
head around the problem and can now 'see' again in black and white!
What has all this got to do with the man on the bike? Well, he
eventually managed to get the wheel out of the track and go off on his
own way! I hope you agree: http://tinyurl.com/oyca3h

Gerry

Gerry Walden
+44 (0)23 8046 3076