Subject: [Leica] Wired Leica S
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:48:19 -0400

> I don't know Mark...some of his points are valid. I love Leica as much
> as anyone, but sometimes it is good to see things from a dispassionate
> viewpoint of a neutral observer. Hopefully he will be wrong and the S
> will be a huge success--if not, it and the M9 may well be the last
> camera models launched by Leica.
>
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman

Its not the market that the Barnack and M were created for;
But is in the sense that if you want the ultimate not too huge hand held
camera to get the ultimate image you are now buying one which says Leitz or
Leica on the top of it.

And so does more importantly the lenses.

In the hey days of Leica/Leitz if you wanted the next step up hand held you
slowed down and got a Rolleiflex to look down down into.
Later the step up  because the cube modular medium format cameras.
And now it is the digital cube modular medium format cameras.

The S2 is going to blow away the results of the 24x36mm frame digital
cameras of course and handle the same and look close enough to the same.
So when there is big money involved as there often is there's no reason why
they're not going to go to the S2 at the rental window..

I expect Leica to be all over the news in October. The Time magazine Man of
the year will no doubt be Dr. Andreas Kaufmann if not I'm sure he'll be a
close runner up.
I'm excited. I'll get to say I knew them when. I was into Leics stuff a long
time ago.

But when the smoke clears I want all eyes to be on the M9.
Or I sell my Leicas. Get off the LUG. And get heavy into 24x36mm DSLR's.
As my entire fairly extensive Leica M system would not put much a dent in
the Leica S2 system.

I suppose there is a market for people who have money they cant even figure
out what to do with and want something to show for it and will now then have
an S2 around their neck. Good for them. I hope they get some good pictures
with it.
I saw a guy at a photo gallery opening with a Nikon D2x around his neck.
Was not a photographer but a rich guy.
I expect he'll have an S2 around his next next show I see him at.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Wired Leica S)