Subject: [Leica] M8 cost drop - like a BIG rock!?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:04:27 -0400

> Yeah,
>
> When the models went from "hand crafted instruments" to "computer
> peripherals" the value model changed dramatically.  A "hand crafted
> instrument" has a chance of holding value.
>
> A "computer peripheral" will have a value curve that plummets very very
> quickly.  Even if it has a "Leica" sticker on it.
>
> I'm afraid that in my opinion, an M8 is a computer peripheral that
> happens to be compatible to my M lenses.  That compatibility is worth
> something, but its value curve over time is that of a computer peripheral.
>
> I just hope mine continues to work long after its warranty expiry (knock
> on wood !!!)
>
> regards
> Vick

I watched them make M8's through the window in Solms they were in there with
their white outfits on. Mostly gals.
I have more respect for the M8's.
They're Leicas..
They have a Leica rangefinder. They bleed.
But they were a first out.
The first M made by a company who was more used to making machine cameras
with film transport mechanisms than all this electronic stuff.
Had that got it perfect the first time it would have been astounding.
Anyways everybody was shooting 1.5 or 1.33 crop those days.
Now they are shooting 1x crop.
I don't think its going to change much after this on that account.
Barnack was very happy with 24x36.
All the lenses made up to this minute are optimized for that format.
And the megapixels wars are about over.
I suspect the M9 will be a better investment than the m8.
I suspect it might be good for a decade.

The M8 does not stop taking pictures after you get your M9.
The pictures you take with it don't all disappear;
Right off your walls and out of your albums and hard disks.
The work is still viable.

Its just you put it side by side next to the output of the M9 the M9 stuff
will look richer and cleaner.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] M8 cost drop - like a BIG rock!?)
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] M8 cost drop)