Subject: [Leica] BOATING PAD - Spritsail Dinghy
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:17:41 -0400

... with senorita.   That's pronounced spritz-zel, BTW.  This simple
rig goes way, way back to Roman times, was a common feature on Thames
barges, and was commonly used for small dinghies on Cape Cod in the
early-part of the 20th Century.  It's an easy boat to rig or stow
since at the end of the day the sail is "brailed" (rolled) up against
the sprit and mast, everything tied together and the mast unstepped
and dropped into the boat.

This one looks like a recent replica of an much older sailing dory
design.   Check out the low, curving tiller.  If that doesn't rise,
(it looks like it does but I've run across a few boats where it
doesn't) this boat would be hellish to hold down in any kind of a
blow.  In the 5-10 knot breeze we had this day the boat balanced
perfectly with the senorita, er, crew sitting in the boat.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2009_boating_pad/?g2_page=5
or
http://tinyurl.com/nbswky

D300, etc.