Subject: [Leica] Markbook Pro glossy screen way too contrasty what were they thinking!?!?!?
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:38:15 -0400

2009-08-25-14:27:20 Mark Rabiner:
> Yea it went way yellow.
> I have to figure out how to lower the gamma without it going why warm on
> me.

Or not. Regardless of what defaults Apple may or may not have been
shipping with, as I understand it, pretty much everybody (working
digital photographers included) gave up on a display gamma of 1.8 years
ago. A target gamma of 2.2 corresponds far more closely to the intrinsic
response of display hardware, and is the neighborhood in which nearly
all the displays of people who'll be looking at your stuff on the web
live.

There's no need to wrench the gamma to a non-native bright-midband 1.8,
then wrench it back when an image's profile is applied when you're
working in a color-managed application. Join the late-20th and so far
all of the 21st century and just adopt the standard od 2.2.

If your display has been profiled properly, and the application you're
using to look at images handles profiles (Photoshop, of course, and
Firefox these days -- last I heard you couldn't count on Safari to
handle colorspaces) you should get all your grays.

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Markbook Pro glossy screen way too contrasty what were they thinking!?!?!?)