Subject: [Leica] R surgery by Leica - what da ya think
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:02:50 -0500

posted on the l-camera-forum
-----------------------------
I am sworn to secrecy on the alleged M9 issue, but have good news on
the matter of R lenses on digital cameras. I can reveal that Leica
Camera will offer a 'turn-it-in' service where you send your R lenses
in for conversion to DSLR fitting, fixed price per lens 50 Euro, plus
Insured Shipping & Handling just 15 Euro per lens. There will also be
a rangefinder-coupling conversion service to Leica M for focal
lengths up to 90mm, cost 150 Euro per lens. M8 and M8.2 Passport
holders to get priority.

Time in workshop guaranteed only one day, but waiting time depends on
demand. This explains why Leica Camera has been recruiting instrument
mechanics from other German companies and running 'behind closed
doors' training sessions since April 1.

Licensing agreement was signed with Nikon, Olympus and Sony on 27 May
this year ,and with Canon on 31 July. Pentax are still holding out
for better terms - Leica has offered them a royalty of 25 Euros for
each conversion but Pentax are holding out for the same deal as the
others, 27.50 Euros. No reason has been given for the discriminatory
deal against Pentax, but another industry source claims it is because
Leica anticipate such a huge take-up from Pentax lens owners, saying
'They estimate a lot of Pentax lens owners could want to take it up'.

A Leica executive, who has asked not to be named said earlier today
'We would like to get Pentax on board, but I guess we can live
without them'. She refused to confirm that Panasonic have been given
preferential terms, but agreed that they too are part of the
agreement and continue 'to be valued co-partners'. She refused to be
drawn on whether R lens production will re-start but confirmed that
the new management ethos at Leica Camera is 'to go with the flow'.

This is surely the best news in a long time and should reassure the
doubters that Leica Camera is a major force in the camera industry,
with a firm grasp of market trends.

Please feel free to post this news on any forum you wish a matter of
public service ..
Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com