Subject: [Leica] Retro Macs ain't bad
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:08:01 -0400

*Those of you lamenting the unavailability of the matte screen on the some
new MacBooks and iMacs might consider an alternative and cheaper approach.
The iMacs in white cases produced just before the latest glass and aluminum
models, especially those featuring a Core 2 Intel processor, are ideal for
photography. My daughter's TV station and the art department of several
glossy magazines use these exclusively. The matte screen white iMacs made
between late 2007 and 2008 have nearly the same specs as the newer models.
They will run the latest operating systems, including OS 10.6, plus all of
the popular photographic software. Most important, a refurbished computer in
pristine condition sells for a good deal less than $1000 on eBay or
elsewhere on the internet.*

**

*I confess to making a mistake in computer purchase. I owned a white, 20"
matte screen iMac which I used exclusively for photo editing and image
storage. Seduced by the ads for Apple's glass and aluminum model, I gave it
to my daughter after installing the new one. Within a few days I had buyer's
regret. The new screen, while bright, had reflections from room lights and a
very narrow angle of view. Too late. My grandchildren had discovered the
joys of the Mickey Mouse website and absolutely refused to give the old iMac
back.*

**

*So here is my prescription. Use a Macbook for travel and saving all those
pictures taken with your M8. The new Macbook Pros even have a slot for the
SD card. Then transfer the pics via Firewire or a CD to the white iMac.
Edit, retouch, whatever to your heart's content on a big, clear screen. I
personally like the 20" screen because I have to sit too far from the 24"
screen, but others may differ. Then save the pics to your medium of choice.
The low price of the refurbished iMac will let you buy a multi terabyte HD.*

**

*I wish I had followed my own advice. I may still trade the glass and
aluminum iMac for the older model.*

**

*Incidentally, my source at Apple tells me that tells me that when buyers
were questioned if they preferred the glossy or matte display, 64% said that
they liked the glossy screen better. So don't count on Apple changing its
product line.*

**

*Larry Z*

**