Subject: [Leica] M8 and CV Nokton 35/1.4 examples now PJ
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (TED GRANT)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 22:30:39 -0700

Nathan offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] M8 and CV Nokton 35/1.4 examples now PJ

> Well, next weekend Lluis and I are going to Perpignan to inspect
> the? doom and gloom for ourselves.
>
> The premise of the article is that the "raw material" for?
> photojournalism are wars, famines and natural disasters. I
> think? that's wrong. This is one of the reasons I stopped going to the
> World? Press Photo exhibitions--it is always the war or disaster du
> jour that? wins that award. Frankly, I don't care if I ever see another
> picture? from Darfur or Afghanistan. I am much more interested in stuff
> like? what Ric (to take an example we see every week) shows--daily
> life seen? in an interesting way.<<<<<<<<
?
Hi Nathan,
I stopped entering anything into international competitions for exactly the
same reason!!!! Similarly with national news ? related.
The only pictures that have any chance are the doom and gloom of war,
famine, death and destruction!
Most of this type of photo can be shot by anybody with an automatic
everything camera with their eyes closed, squeeze on the shutter release and
revolve 180 degrees while the camera goes ticky ticky tick! And come back
with all kinds of exposures illustrating the ugly side of the human race one
unto the other.
"YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A PHOTOGRAPHER TO SHOOT THIS CRAP!"
All one has to do is see one set of photos from Darfur and it's basically
the same photos of the past, what ten years? And they're always the same....
dying starved to death babies with flies around their eyes, gaunt faced
women and young girls . Oh and one shouldn't forget the bloated bellies of
the babies. Real good stuff for prizes!
Now thats the kind of stuff they drool over as winning images at the World
Press Competition!
Hell I'd rather be forced to look at a year of Friday flowers than the above
garbage selected as Great Press Photos of the Year!
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] M8 and CV Nokton 35/1.4 examples now PJ)
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] ...now PJ)
Message from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] M8 and CV Nokton 35/1.4 examples?)