Subject: [Leica] Introduction of Leica M9 on 09.09.09
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:54:52 -0500

Mark,

That is Value Added Tax, such as you will find in EU countries and
elsewhere.  It is like a sales tax, though technically the tax is "built up"
through various stages of production.  The end result to the consumer is the
same.  It is a "regressive" or consumption tax, compared to a tax on income.
Most countries with a VAT seem to have both.  For example, the income tax
rate in the UK (40% going to 50%) - plus the VAT is a lot of tax.  The
income tax rate in the U.S. will probably shortly go to about 40%, but so
far no VAT.  So far.

Ken