Subject: [Leica] Update on Spyder 3 Pro/MacBook Air Calibration Problems
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:35:45 -0400

After a somewhat frustrating back and forth with the Datacolor support
folks I can report the following results.  You'll remember from an
earlier post that my attempts to calibrate my Air led to consistently
green-tinted results and that V3.1.1 of the software trashed my
machine by turning the menu Bar black and putting black blotches in
many of the open windows.  I had to fully restore my hard drive to
recover from that problem.

1. V3.1.2 of the Spyder 3 Pro software ran fine on the Air.

2. V3.1.2 did not fix the calibration error.

Since Spyder 2 Pro and Spyder 3 Pro both miscalibrated the Air in the
same way I suspect there is either still a problem in the software or
some incompatibility between the Spyder 3 sensor and the Air screen.

We never did address the question of the failure of the Spyder 3 Pro
installer to work on my PowerPC iMac.  Spyder 2 Pro calibrates the
iMac just fine and I didn't want to do anything to mess that up.

Frankly, I also just got tired of working with Datacolor support after
they didn't respond to my request for an Spyder 3 Pro uninstaller.  I
wanted to reinstall Spyder 3 Pro on a clean slate and they do say you
should remove all earlier versions of their software before installing
the new.  (I only learned that late in the game. It's not in the
installation instructions.)

I have yet to investigate ColorEyes <http://www.integrated-color.com/
 >.  It works with the Spyder sensor and I've read some good things
about it.  But, it's another $175.00 and I'm not ready to spend that
yet.

Regards,

Dick