Subject: [Leica] Re. should cameras with silent shutters be outlawed?
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 16:19:21 -0700

Yet another blunt-instrument law proposed by a grandstanding politician
purporting to protect us from perps, perverts and pedophiles.  The
comments at the ABC site pretty much point out the uselessness and
absurdity of such a law.  The bill's author is a rather colorful
character who reportedly is very interested in becoming a U.S. Senator.
I suspect the bill is just future campaign fodder. Note that it has no
co-sponsors.

Of course, as the owner of an M8 with the original shutter, I have
nothing to fear from such a law, even if it is extended to cover digital
cameras.  You M8.2 owners and prospective M9 owners better save your
pennies to send your camera back to Solms for a retrofit shutter
downgrade if this bill passes.  :-)

--Peter