Subject: [Leica] M8 M9 Tech Comparos
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&E Cummer)
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:58:53 -0700

Hi Luggers,

A friend sent me the PDF of the new Leica Brochure (thanks Ivor!)
which gives the tech specs of the M9. I pulled out the instruction
book for my M8 to make some comparisons:
Dimensions and weight: the M8 is 138.6mm wide by 36.9mm deep by 80.2mm
high and weighs 590gms (with battery). The M9 is 139mm wide by 37mm
deep by 80mm high and weighs 585gms (with battery). The brochure notes
the M9 measurements are approximate but it seems the M9 is slightly
wider, slightly deeper and maybe a touch shorter.
One would expect it will handle like the M8 but I am sure there will
be a lot of moaning on the 'net about how the proportions have
changed. I remember the controversy over height when the M6TTL was
introduced.

  The back LCD is the same on both cameras - a 2.5" monitor (colour
TFT LCD) with 230,000 pixels - that's a bit of a disappointment given
the pixel count in the LCDs of other Full Frame cameras like the Nikon
D700 (3.0" LCD monitor with 922,000 pixels). Both M cameras have 0.68
view finders with frame lines adjusted to be most accurate at 1 meter.
I prefer two meters as the compromise most accurate distance for my
shooting style and that is, I believe, what the revised view finder
was set for if you upgraded the finder frame lines. If my memory is
faulty on this point - I'm sure someone will correct it!

For me the Big Question is how low the noise levels are at high ISO. I
have been truly spoiled with the D700.
Hopefully the M9's will be available for fondling at the LHSA in
Seattle beginning Oct 7. Any luggers going?
Cheers
Howard

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] M8 M9 Tech Compares)
Reply from msadat at gmail.com (mehrdad) ([Leica] M8 M9 Tech Comparos)