Subject: [Leica] Leica x1 @ PopFlash
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:26:19 -0400

> Without interchangeable lenses I think crop factor is irrelevant.
>

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>>
>> The Foveon has a  1.7 crop factor.
>> This has a 1.5.

When Barnack came out with the first Leica it had one lens.
There was no 39mm thread. There was an Elmar.
The interchangeable lens thing  came in 5 years later after a period in
which lenses had to be calibrated individually.
But by that time Leica photography was a reality.
It was the camera design heard round the world.
And compactness was the key.
Its not obvious if interchangeable lens design was  in Barnacks head from
the beginning or not. It seems likely not. The changing of a lens seemed as
much an add on feature as the using of a rangefinder. Which came two years
later in 1932.
The Leica I ruled from 1925 to 1930 with its built in Elmar.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Leica-I-1.jpg

In modern times the Rollei 35 and other compact quality cameras have been a
ubiquitous big deal with serious shooters.
But this after the year 2000 was surprisingly lacking in the digital age.
All the small camera have had sensors which make the Minox format look big.
And the Minox thing is not the Leica thing.
As the Leica thing is "big pictures form small negatives" Barnack.
And a neg that size does not a big picture make.
As much as I love the Dlux 3 and 4 they are Panasonics not Leicas.
With tolerances being very good but not Leica good.
Made out of very nice plastic.
The Leica X1 is  made of aluminum and magnesium.
I think think the introduction of the X1 is a very big deal.
Its as Leica like as the M9 if not more so. The impact of the X1 in the end
will compete with the impact of the M9.
You're going to see more of them for in use for one.
And you're going to open a magazine or newspaper and see pictures taken with
it.
Anybody whose anybody is going to have one in the bottom of their camrea bag
and be saved by it repeatedly.
If not in their jacket pocket.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Leica x1 @ PopFlash)