Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Another Church In New Mexico
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 23:09:27 -0700

Bob Baron showed:
>>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Bob+Baron/NM_09/Las+Trampas/ <<<<

Hi Bob,
Just think of this as though your at the Leica Seminar last afternoon
critique session! :-) So listen carefully to my voice! :-)

1/ These don't begin to touch your first church posting! Sorry that's
life!But true!

2/ Of the four, only the last works because it has the least amount of
distortion and it's an interesting photo. Good exposure no problem.

3/ Even though you are using a super wide angle 15mm  lens it doesn't mean
it's Ok to have distortion!
As a matter of fact the distortion due to you not holding the camera
properly, perfectly straight horizontally and vertically correct, tilting
the camera up trying to get the whole building in you spoiled the impact of
your photos.
Instead of tilting and screwing up the shape of the building you should have
backed up to be able to hold camera correctly, eliminate the distortion even
though you'd have a slightly smaller building image, it would be better!
Even though you'd have a bigger foreground or sky area that would be better
than tilting! Later in Photoshop you could slightly crop foreground or sky
if necessary and still have the complete building without any curved corners
and walls!

And! It wouldn't look like you were trying to squeeze a big building into a
small box! As in I feel these are cropped too tightly and lose the pleasant
open atmosphere we saw in the first post.

So there you go! :-)
cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron) ([Leica] IMGS: Another Church In New Mexico)