Subject: [Leica] A new Tri-Elmar soon ?
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:32:22 -0400

2009-09-16-18:59:51 Mark Rabiner:
> I did some really great night shooting when I got my Noctilux in 2001.
> Then came digital.
> And I could easily get much better results from the the same dark alley
> shooting the black cat at midnight with a slow cheap  $125 zoom.
> So I'm curious the shots you've got you could not have got at f4.
[...]
> I just Googled Jeff Moore Leica..

I doubt much useful would come from that.  For one thing, I don't see much
point in splashing "Leica" over everything as a keyword, so I don't;  it
might
be in the EXIF data, but that doesn't necessarily make it into the search
engines as a main something to query on.

> Maybe you could give me a pointer.

I've posted a fair bit of stuff here to the list over the last few years,
it's
not hard to find;  but let's take an example right from the set of pictures I
pointed to a couple of messages earlier right in this very thread:

http://photos.bazbarfoo.com/Events/2009-09-11-WarehouseOpening/9602510_fUnyT#646856265_8oj4R

I'm not claiming the above photo is the pinnacle of the photographic art or
anything, but I think the couple have nice energy, it's a cute picture; and
if
you just roll your mouse over the image and click on that "i" for Photo Info,
what do you see?  1/11th of a second at ISO 1250 (and I remember that the
lens
actually was at f/1.4, as the EXIF data claims, even though the camera
doesn't
really know that for sure).

There really wasn't much light there.  Assuming I actually wanted to take a
picture of these kids, how would I do it with an f/4 lens?  I suppose I could
run the ISO up to 2500; M8 images hold together okay as 1250 and get pretty
blizzardy at 2500, but, sure, let's run it up to 2500 and live with the
snowstorm.

That gets the lens to f/2.0.  To get those other two stops to f/4, well,
we're
up against the firewall here on ISO.  I guess I have to handhold something
between 1/4 and 1/2 second.  You think that picture was a little wobbly at
1/11th, wait 'til you see 1/2 second!

And even if I could've pulled it off, I don't think I'd have liked the look
of
the picture as much with the guy, and the guy behind him, more crisply
rendered.

> You into some hair sliver depth of field thing?

Not necessarily.  But sometimes, sure, I think it looks pretty darned cool...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbm0/1042117286/in/set-72157603617526847

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbm0/1042117286/sizes/o/in/set-72157603617526847/

> I have to say that I have my share of 1.4 lenses and I shoot all kinds a
> pictures.
> And I'm aware how they can be as necessary as they can be un.

There!  That didn't hurt so much, did it?

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] A new Tri-Elmar soon ?)