Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:40:37 +0800

Doug,

I assume you are in the US, as most LUG members are.  I am in Asia and this
is my relatively more global view:

Leica prices have NOT gone up that much over the years.  I have kept records
of factory price lists that date back to the '50s, formerly in Deutsche
Mark, and now Euro.  They are mostly in line with inflation.

The problem perceived by you, and your fellow countrymen, is due to the
significant depreciation of your currency, the US Dollar.  Six or seven
years ago one US Dollar could buy 1.20 Euro, now only 0.67 Euro.  Thus by
default, Leica prices would have doubled for you over the same period.

In addition, the US market has become less significant for Leica over the
past few years, as several 'developing' countries have become more affluent
with increasing demand for Leica products.  Leica can charge more in those
countries.

Another example: due to the weak US Dollar, Ferrari have reduced quota for
the US market and increased the allocation for China, where the growth for
Ferrari cars has been 25-30% year on year.

And to be fair, the three new lenses, namely, the Summilux 21/1.4 ASPH,
Summilux 24/1.4 ASPH, and Noctilux 50/0.95 ASPH are very advanced and
superior designs that cost a lot to develop and manufacture.  Low supply and
high demand also keep prices high.

Joseph