Subject: [Leica] Obscura 4x5 Piccolino
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 01:59:53 -0400

> I've done portraits with a 210 f5.6 Caltar, (Calumet branded I think)
> and it was a nice portrait lens. good detail rendition without
> harshness, smooth bokeh....... Tri-X 320 printed on fiber paper
> roughly 16x20...... Gorgeous prints.
>

> -Forrest

What's normal for a 4x5 is a little complicated.
The diagonal is 160mm
A 6.4 incher
But of course no one makes one.

You get a Speed Graphic they tell you a normal is a 127mm 4.7 Kodak Ektar
lens. That's how Jimmy Olsen started out. The standard of the industry.
You are a commercial photographer with a monorail view camera they tell you
to go out and buy a 210 Schneider or Nikkor. I got a Fujinon which cost the
same as the Nikkor. A W 210mm f5.6 lens.
Some people think a 180 is the way to start out maybe they're using more of
a field camrea. A woody. There is lots of ways to make a 4x5 sheet film
camrea.

This Piccolino camrea is one with no movements its concept for its ultra
simplicity revolves around what it takes to shoot wide angle.
Other companies which make such simplied sheet film wide angles are Alpa,
Cambo and Horseman. Bellows less. Maybe you can slide the lens back and
forth. They are having a resurgence with digital. Stitch cameras.

Mark William Rabiner