Subject: [Leica] How do you take off the M lens mount.......?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:26:44 -0700

I guess there are 2 reasons to code a lens.....

To ID it in the EXIF data, and to make that process idiot proof.
To enable the M8 to perform its "magic" with the WA lenses.

Maybe a third one.... because you can.

I would like my WA lenses to be coded, and I am using Milich to cut the
recesses for the coding on the 3E and my 28/2.  ( as an aside, they and  the
WATE will go New Zealand with me in January,,,, )

On the 35/1.4 and 35/2V3, the mounts seem to have tiny screws around the
periphery of the lens.  I absolutely refuse to touch them until I know if
they are the way into the lens.
I doubt that Leica would have designed a lens so that the lens mount would
not come off.....somehow.... but I doubt these 2 lenses are as easy as
removing 6 screws.
I would like to have one or the other to be coded, because I use them so
often... now thinking about it, and the 1.33 factor of the M8, maybe I
should not bother.... I probably will settle for a wider lens, like my 28 as
my standard carry around lens.

The 50 Pre ASPH Lux is another matter, and I do understand that one is a bit
hairy..... and I will probably not bother with the effort involved.

I do appreciate the info on not needing to code the 35/1.4.  It does make me
more comfortable in using  the lens.....

BTW, did you realize that if you remove 3 mounts and send them to Milich to
code, that you do not have the 3 lenses for use?  I found this out after
sending off the mounts.....

A bit dumb, but I do learn.....sometimes.....

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

The 35/1.4 pre-asph lens cannot be coded unless you do it yourself,
mechanical skill required of course, which I do not have.  The mount cannot
be removed, as it is part of the overall lens body, or so I have been told.
I think that there is another problem in that one of the screws is in the
wrong place.  The other lenses are codeable as far as I know.  I use my
35/1.4 pre-ash with no problems, you do not really need to code it, in my
opinion.

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] How do you take off the M lens mount.......?)
Message from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] How do you take off the M lens mount.......?)