Subject: [Leica] Hood 12504, 35 Lux, UV/IR Filter, M8
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:24:07 +0100

Mark and I wrote:

>  >
>>  Then Mark wrote:
>>

>>>  Or you could do yourself a favor and NOT.
>>>

>>  Sorry Mark, maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake this morning.
>>
>>  Is there something wrong with providing useful source information to
>>  M8 owners who feel they need these filters, which, by the sound of
>>  things, you don't?
>>
>>  Best of light.
>>
>>  Alex
>

>Whose your favorite photographer Alex?
>And what brand UV filter does he/she use?

Ah, now I understand. This is a re-run of the great LUG UV filter
controversy back when the world was young. I've no desire to go there
again, apart from to reiterate that the whole point of IR/UV cut
filters with the M8 is to make good the original Leica foul-up with
the too thin IR filter in front of sensor.

Given a choice between dark artificial fabrics regularly coming out
magenta in certain lights, and sticking a good quality filter on the
lens which solves the problem. I'll go for the latter - it's Leica's
own fudge for the M8, and there seem to be plenty of pros using them
until they can afford an M9.

Of course, real men only shoot b/w, where no filters are needed. I
must say I'm delighted with my b/w results so far - and for those I
take the filter off.... :-)

Best of light.

Alex
--