Subject: [Leica] IMG: Abandoned airplane
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:49:03 -0400

Now that airplanes have appeared in the LUG it might be a good time to
disgorge my file of aircraft pictures. During my years of working in
the military/industrial complex I spent most of my time on futuristic
aircraft that thankfully were never used in anger. In fact most were
cancelled before they became operational. These included the Avro CF
105, the XB 70 Valkyrie bomber and it's smaller sibling, the XF 108
Rapier fighter, and the Dynasoar space plane, the distant ancestor of
the Space Shuttle. Look these up in Wikipedia to get an idea of what
they were.

I'm not a pilot. My total hands on experience with flying is soloing in
a Piper Cub and about 10 hours of helicopter training in the Army. But
at the time I was a systems engineer and was considered adept at
merging the concerns of airframe designers, electronics engineers and
flight crew. Still, I was fascinated with aircraft, especially old
planes, and took pictures whenever I had the chance. Which was not too
often during my working days because of security restrictions. So most
of my pics were made adventitiously.

Here is the first of the series. An abandoned amphibian that I stumbled
upon when biking near my home. It is on the shore in an old seaplane
landing area in the small Hudson River town of Verplanck. I was told
that some aviation enthusiasts intend to fix it up and fly it again.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Seaplane+1.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Seaplane+2.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Seaplane+3.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Seaplane+4.jpg.html