Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Normal 50mm f/2 Planar T* ZM
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:03:38 -0700

At 5:54 PM -0400 10/7/09, Doug Herr wrote:
>Richard Man
>
>>How did it get from superiority of Leica glass to superiority of
>>medium format vs. 35mm film format? :-)
>>
>>Of course medium format film > 35mm film. That's without dispute.
>
>A 30x40 print made with Nikon lenses on film looks great until you
>compare it with something else.  Compare Galen Rowell's prints with
>prints made using better equipment and you'll see that from a
>technical POV Rowell's photos were not particularly good, so his
>prints by themselves don't illustrate the relative merits of the
>lenses he used.
>
>Doug Herr
>Birdman of Sacramento
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com

I concur with Doug.

I've also seen a number of Galen Rowell's prints and while a number
are interesting and/or pleasing, his technical quality was very often
not that good. In his defence, he took a lot of his pictures on long,
difficult treks and climbs, and his reliance on light and small
equipment was understandable to a degree. Unfortunately he wanted
great versatility and a big stack of ND and effect filters, so a
light (in Nikon terms, inexpensive) camera and zoom lens were often
used.

You use a lightweight 'kit' zoom with multiple acrylic filters and
resolution and contrast take a holiday.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design