Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Normal 50mm f/2 Planar T* ZM
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:21:24 +0100

 From an engineering point of view it is easy to see why there is a
difference in cost. I own a Canon 24mm f1.4 lens and one would only
use it wide open in an emergency, and only then if the subject was
central. It is very soft round the edges. I would expect that the
Leica lens, which I will be unlikely to ever buy, will have a
considerably better performance in the region of f1.4 to f4 based on
my other Leica-Canon experience. The Canon does not equal my f2.8
Leica-m 24mm at any aperture incidentally, Canon wides tend to be not
that special, unlike their long lenses IME.
The production volume of the Canon will probably be hundreds or
thousands greater than the Leica. Nothing reduces cost more
effectively than production volume in mechanical engineering!
My exposure meter cost more than an entry level dSLR which is
gazillions of times more complex and sophisticated for the same
probable reason.
A combination of design and precision (explaining the performance
difference) made in the EU (at EU working hours and pay) and
production volume are much more likely explanations for the difference
in retail price than profiteering. I bet Leica makes less profit on
turnover than Canon.
The market Leica services is so tiny that their products could never
be inexpensive even if banal, their only choice to stay in business is
to supply a level of excellence that justifies the price (to some).
Frank D.